I was never a big fan of chicken livers until I had them fried in batter while in Lawton Oklahoma. The store charged us $1 for each liver, and I thought I bet I can do them cheaper. I was absolutely right! These fried goodies are easy to do and will cost you around $5 for a pound of them.
- 1 lb. fresh chicken livers, cleaned
- 3 cups cooking oil
- 1 cup BASIC CHICKEN DUST (CHICKEN BATTER) (ingredients also listed below)
- 1 cup milk, or water
- Ingredients for Chicken Dust:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. sweet paprika
- 2 Tbsp. garlic powder
- 2 to 3 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. pepper
- ½ tsp. sugar
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- Add chicken dust ingredients to a resealable bag.
- Place the milk in a bowl for dipping.
- Heat oil in a deep frying pan to 375-degrees.
- Coat the livers in the milk, then place in chicken dust. Close bag and shake to coat the livers evenly.
- Repeat step 4
- Carefully, add the battered chicken livers to the oil in a single layer (you may have to do a few batches.) causing burns, so be careful Heat the oil to med-high, and once heated carefully add the livers in a single layer. Fry for about 8 to 10 minutes, or until livers are golden brown and completely cooked to 165-degrees.